Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 cup split yellow lentils
- ½ cup fresh fenugreek leaves, chopped
- 1 green chilly, slit in half
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Salt, to taste
1. Cook the lentils with 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt & turmeric powder. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the lentils soften.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add red chilly powder, cumin seeds, ginger & garlic. Mix together for 2 minutes.
3. Add the onions and sauté until onions turn translucent.
4. Add tomatoes and the rest of the spices. Mix well together and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Finally, add fenugreek leaves and a cup of water. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Now add the cooked lentils and a pinch of salt. Adjust the consistency by adding water if need be. Garnish with coriander and serve hot with naan bread & basmati rice.
This recipe is adapted from Shreyas Retreat in Bangalore.