Ingredients (serves 4):
- 6 medium free-range chicken thighs, with the skin
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 250g / ¼ lb. cooking chorizo sausage, sliced in thick chunks
- 400g/ 1 tin flageolet or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 400ml/ 1 ½ fresh stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 375ml/ 1 ½ red wine
- handful chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius (300 degrees Fahrenheit, Gas mark 2).
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan on high heat. Add the chicken thighs skin-side down and fry until browned and a little crisp. Sear on both sides and set aside.
3. Turn down the heat and discard most of the oil. Add the onion, carrots and celery to the pot. Fry on a medium heat until soft and starting to brown.
4. Add the chorizo and fry for another 3-5 minutes. Add the wine, turn up the heat and bubble the wine for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the chicken thighs, chicken stock, and mustard. Give it a good stir and stick the pot in the oven with a lid for about 2 hours.
6. Take the pot out of the oven and carefully remove the skin from each thigh and discard. Skim any excess oil off the top. Add a little salt if needed. Add the beans now and put the casserole back in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
7. Serve hot with a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
Recipe inspired by Delicious Magazine (January 2015)