Ingredients (serves 4):
- 500g/4 large carrots, chopped
- 400g/3 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 4 kaffir leaves, whole
- 5ml/1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 ltr/4 cups good quality stock
- 30ml/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 30ml/2 Tbsp fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 200ml coconut cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, chilli, ginger, carrots, sweet potatoes, kaffir leaves and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a low heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. When the vegetables are soft, take out the kaffir leaves and set aside to cool. When cooled down, use a blender to puree the soup.
3. Return to a low heat and add the sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and the coconut cream. Warm through.
4. Serve hot with a sprinkling of coriander or shredded coconut.