Ingredients (serves 4):
- 250g/1 cup diced lamb (or I use cubed pancetta)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 150g/2/3 cup lentils, rinsed
- 150g/2/3 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small tin of peeled tomatoes
- 80g/1 portion noodles
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 strands of saffron
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 2 handful fresh coriander
- 15ml/3 tsp olive oil
- 500ml/2 cups of water
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the diced lamb (pancetta) and onion. Saute for a few minutes until the meat begins to brown.
2. Add the water, cumin and salt. Cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
3. Add the tomatoes, celery, chickpeas and lentils to the mix. Cook on very low heat and covered for 60 minutes.
4. Remove the celery, meat, chickpeas with a ladle. Mix the rest in a blender until smooth. Add the bits back in along with the pasta, the ground ginger and the saffron. Cook until thick.
5. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of coriander.