Ingredients (serves 4, as a side dish):
- 2 medium-sized aubergines (eggplant), cut in 3 cm (1 inch) cubes
- 250g/9oz ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tin chickpea in water, drained
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful of fresh parsley, minced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilly flakes
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven at 200°C (400°F)for 10 minutes.
2. Place the aubergine cubes, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes until the edges are brown.
3. Add the halved tomatoes, garlic and chilli flakes. Roast for another 20 minutes.
4. Add the drained chickpeas and stir well. Roast for another 10 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 5 minutes. Then stir through the fresh parsley.
6. Serve hot or warm with brown rice or a wholemeal pitta bread.
This recipe is adapted from Veg by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstal