Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 medium-sized kohlrabi, cut into thick matchsticks
- 1/2 white cabbage
- 6 heaped Tbsp of fresh dill or cilantro roughly chopped
- 120g of dried cranberries
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 60ml/1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- A generous pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp of white or black pepper
1. Peel and cut the kohlrabi into thick matchsticks (about 5mm/1/4 inch wide). Cut the cabbage into thick strips about the same width.
2. Put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix everything together. The flavours will mix and the lemon will soften the cabbage and kohlrabi. Put aside for 10 minutes.
3. Taste and adjust the seasoning. You might need a bit more salt to counteract the lemon.
4. Lift the salad out of the mixing bowl into a serving bowl, leaving most of the juices behind. Garnish with remaining fresh herbs.
This recipe is adapted from Plenty by Yottam Ottolenghi.