Ingredients (serves 6):
- 3 small onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 250g/9oz organic pork mince
- 250g/9oz organic beef mince
- 3 cans (400g/14oz) whole or crushed tomatoes, pureed in blender
- 4 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped in blender
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 150ml (2/3 cup) red wine
- 1 Tbsp umami paste (optional)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Pour the oil into a deep pan on high heat. Immediately add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook and stir until the onions become translucent. Avoid burning them. Stir for 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat.
2. Add the pork and beef mince. Sprinkle on salt and pepper, to taste. Stir until the mince is thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the pureed tomatoes, carrots, oregano, umami and red wine. Turn up the heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover halfway and let simmer for 30-45 minutes. *Bolognaise is always best the next day. If you are preparing this recipe for the same day, add 1 Tbsp of brown sugar now. This will bring out the flavours.
4. When cooked, let sit for about one hour with the lid on the pan. When ready, cook the pasta according to package instructions. During that time, reheat the sauce and pour over the pasta when the pasta is cooked.
5. Grate on fresh parmesan to finish.