Ingredients (serves 4):
- 250g/9oz small pasta shapes
- 1 large shallot or small onion, finely sliced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 200g/7oz young white turnips, sliced into 0.5cm/1/4inch rounds
- 100g/4oz button or small chestnut mushrooms
- 2 handfuls of watercress or rocket (arugula)
- a pinch of salt and black pepper
1. Boil the pasta in hot water for about 7-9 minutes, till al dente.
2. Peel and slice a shallot finely, then fry in a little oil till pale gold. Remove and set aside.
3. Slice the turnips into rounds. Slice the mushrooms into quarters. Fry both in a little olive oil until golden brown.
4. Return the fried shallots to the pan and add in two handfuls of watercress.
5. Drain the cooked pasta and mix with the shallots, turnip, watercress and mushroom. Add a dash of black pepper and serve immediately.
This recipe is adapted from Eat by Nigel Slater.