Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 cup brown basmati, washed and drained
- 150g/1 1/2 cup ham, cut into cubes or small cooked shrimp, or small bits of leftover chicken (all optional)
- 2 large carrots, quartered and cut into small cubes
- 100g/1 cup frozen peas
- 100g/1 cup frozen or tinned corn
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
1. Add the cup of rice to a pan and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a minimum and cover the pan with a lid. The water should have evaporated in about 5-7 minutes. Check by tipping the pan slightly and seeing if any fluid remains. If there is not water left, turn off the heat, cover and let sit.
2. Boil another pan of hot water. When boiling, add the carrot pieces and cook for 3 minutes. Add the peas (and corn if frozen) and bring back to a boil. Boil for a further 2 minutes. Drain all the vegetables.
3. Add the oil to a frying pan. Pour in the beaten eggs. Before the egg starts cooking, scoop in the rice. This way, the rice and eggs blend together nicely and you get the shredded bits of cooked egg. When the egg is fully cooked and mixed in with the rice, add all the vegetables. If you want to add ham or another form of protein to this recipe, do it now. Give all the ingredients a good stir.
4. Serve immediately and enjoy.