Ingredients (serves 4 as a main, 6 as a starter):
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups coarsely grated courgette (zucchini)
- 150g/ 1 cup wholemeal flour or coconut flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 325g/ 1 1/2 cups grated mature cheddar
- 4 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
1. Preheat the oven at 190°C (375°F) for 10 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped onions and stir for about 3 minutes until starting to brown.
3. Mix the grated courgettes, flour, baking powder, olive oil and eggs together in a large bowl.
4. Add the cooked onions to the mix.
5. Add the grated cheese to the mix. Finish with a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. Pour the mixture into a round pie tin (30cm or 15 inches). I use a silicon tin as it does not require coating with butter or oil and unmoulds very easily. Stick the pie in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until starting to brown on top. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve on its own, or with a simple green salad.