Ingredients (serves 4):
- Low butter shortcrust pastry sheet
- 60g/1/4 basmati rice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 600g/2 ½ cups chestnut or button mushrooms
- a pinch of turmeric
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 eggs, hard boiled and crushed with a fork
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- sesame seeds to decorate (optional)
1. Preheat the oven at 200°C (400°F)for 10 minutes.
2. Cook the rice with turmeric and lemon zest. My rule of thumb is 1/4 cup of basmati rice for 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a small flame or low temperature. Cover the rice. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Drain and cool.
3. During that time, gently fry the onion and mushrooms in olive oil until soft.
4. Mix the rice, cranberries and eggs together and season. Add the mushroom and onion mix.
5. Place the pastry sheet on parchment paper and spoon out the mixture in the middle. Fold the sides over to make a parcel.
6. Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
7. Bake for 30 minutes in the oven.
8. Let cool for a few minutes. Slice 1 ½ inch (4 cm) slices and serve with steamed vegetables or a salad.