Ingredients (makes 30):
- 4 eggs
- 150g / 2/3 cup of grated gruyère cheese (or emmental, cheddar)
- 150g / 2/3 cup of flour, through a sieve
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 80g / 1/3 cup butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper
1. Heat the oven to 200°C (thermostat 6-7).
2. In a pan, bring 250ml (1 cup) of water to a boil and add the butter with 1 tsp of salt. Once the butter is melted, add the sieved flour and baking powder in one go. Mix vigorously until the flour is completely incorporated. Reheat on a very low heat if the mixture is too "wet" for about 1 minute.
3. Take the pan off the heat and add the eggs, one by one. Mix thoroughly. Finally, add the cheese, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Spoon onto a baking tray covered with a baking sheet. Use a large dessert spoon and add one dollop every inch.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Watch carefully until the gougeres brown slightly. Do not let them get too dark.
6. Enjoy warm.