Ingredients (serves 6, generously):
- 400g/ 1 ½ cups walnuts, chopped
- 2 tins/ 2 ½ cups black beans
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 400g / 1 ½ cups oats
- 1 sweet potato, grated
- 150ml / 3/4 cup veggie stock
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper to taste.
1. Pour 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a hot pan and cook the chopped onion until translucent. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
2. Roast the walnuts in a pan on high heat until they start to brown. Do not burn! Set aside for about 10 minutes then chop the walnuts in a blender to a consistency of big bread crumbs. Put half aside and add the other half to the onions in the mixing bowl.
3. Empty the cans of black beans into a colander. Rinse thoroughly. Blend half of the black beans in a blender to a paste consistency. Add the paste to the mixing bowl and set the other half aside.
4. Peel the sweet potato and grate it. Add the sweet potato to the simmering veggie stock in a pan. Cook for about 10 minutes until slightly al dente, not fully soft. Add to the mixing bowl.
5. Add the beaten eggs, oats and roughly chopped cilantro to the mixing bowl. Mix all the ingredients together and let it sit for about 1 hour.
6. Before shaping into burger patties, add the left over black beans. Then shape into patties and coat with the leftover walnuts. Brush on a bit of olive oil before baking in the oven (200 degrees Celsius or 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes). Or grill on the BBQ for a few minutes on each side.
7. Serve in a soft bun with freshly sliced avocado and tomato, and a great big green salad.