Ingredients (serves 8):
- 1 L (8 cups) full fat milk
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 tsp corn flour, diluted in 2 Tbsp of warm milk
- 200ml / 6.5 oz (small tin) condensed milk
1. Bring the milk to a boil and simmer until reduced by half. Stir continuously to avoid the milk from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
2. Then add the condensed milk and stir continuously to avoid lumps.
3. Add the cardamom powder and saffron. Bring to a boil again and add the corn flour. Mix well. Take off the heat and let cool. The consistency should be of a creamy custard.
4. Pour into small round or square moulds. Freeze for 5 hours.
5. To remove the kulfi easily from the mild, dip the mold in lukewarm water for a few seconds. Slice and serve immediately.
This recipe is adapted from Shreyas Retreat in Bangalore.