Ingredients (makes 18):
- 3 Tbsp lemon balm leaves, finely chopped
- 150ml/2/3 cup honey or agave nectar
- 100ml/1/2 cup olive oil or coconut butter
- 2 eggs
- 200g/7oz wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175ml/3/4 cup semi-skimmed milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven at 170°C (340°F) for 10 minutes.
2. Mix the sugar, oil and eggs together in a large bowl.
3. Add all remaining ingredients: flour, bicarbonate, lemon rind and juice, milk, balm leaves and salt.
4. Grease a cake tin or madeleine baking tray with butter or oil.
5. Add the mixture to the cake tin.
6. Cook for one hour. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.